And she had finally done it. She had talked to him. After a year with this day in mind, she wasn't sure if it was exactly what she had pictured. She had talked to him, given him a small gift, and when she thought it was appropriate to leave, excused herself from the awkward conversation, and walked away.
She walked away slowly, but didn't turn around. She thought to herself .. "It is all that I can do" and just walked.
Once she got though the crowed, she escaped the madness of the upper level, and made her way down the hill to where her car was parked. She was so close. She was ready to reach for the handle. She heard something. Something not of the usual "Congratulations" and "I love you's" and "Party tonight's" of the occasion. She heard her name being called out, but never as it ever had been before. This wasn't the way her mother called her name to clean her room. This wasn't the way a friend yelled her name down the halls of school. This was her name being called out the way she had always wanted. This was the one she had liked calling to her.
She turned around, and moved the hair from her eyes, and saw him, running to her. Graduation gown out, tie loosened, and hat in hand. She saw him and thought "There's no way".
Surrounded by a million empty cars, she approached him as he was running toward her. When they met, it wasn't the normal weird feeling between the two, the normal stance. They hugged. They hugged and swung around and kissed.
Ash .. Unlike the others, this wasn't a dream. Simply a figment of my imagination. You were right, I did need to hear that last night, and I thank you for telling me. Monday, I guess we'll see if I can really do it ... Thanks for ALWAYS knowing exactly what to say ..
Saturday, May 22, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment